Strengthening the Functions of School Management Committees and Anganwadis
The Hosur Educational Division of Krishnagiri District is multilingual; the population is predominantly Telugu and Kannada speaking. ARCOD identified the need for improvement in the system of education for Linguistic minorities, as a result a study taken to analyze the present status of children educated in Telugu and Kannada medium. The project was initiated in the month of October 2010. At present this project is being implemented in Thally, Kelamangalam and Soolagiri Blocks of Krishnagiri District. This project is supported by India Literacy Project, USA.
Strengthening the functions of School Management Committees and Anganwadis to ensure quality learning by Children of Linguistic Minorities
- Name of the Blocks : Thally, Kelamangalam & Shoolagiri Blocks
- Education Cluster : Hosur Education Division
- No. of Gram Panchayaths : 32
- No. of Villages : 60
- No. of Children Covered : 4738
Issues / Why this Project?
- Physical and social inaccessibility
- Poverty and lack of sustainable livelihood options, education is not a priority for the target families.
- The three language situation - people cannot speak Tamil but only Telugu and Kannada. The medium of instruction in Tamil poses a big challenge.
- There is a gap of home language and school language which affects the performance of the children achieving the minimum level of learning.
- Communication is a challenge between the teachers and the children.
- Teachers perform their duties without understanding the learning difficulties of the children of linguistic minorities.
- The teaching methodology is followed in schools, in which these children are passive recipients rather than active participants in the learning process.
- Vacancies of Teachers Positions
In Anganwadi Centre:
- Community is not aware of the importance of the Anganwadi Centre.
- Parents are thinking it as only a food serving Centre.
- Irregularity in functions of the Anganwadi Centre.
The following activities are undertaken under the project
- Conducting Children Competency Assessments (CCA) to identify the level of competency of the children in reading and writing. Analyzing the results of CCA to give inputs.
- Assessment of learning capacities of children in Anganwadis & Analysis of Results
- Organizing Block level events for the members of School Management Committees – A platform to SMC members to share and learn from each other
- Training to the members of School Management Committees on their roles and responsibilities for effective functions of the committee.
- Facilitating get to gather of Anganwadi workers on a regular basis
- Training to the workers of Anganeadis
- Celebration of National Festivals - Independence Day, Gandhi Jayanthi, Children’s Day & Republic Day
- Formation of Mothers Committees
- Formation of Alumni Associations